Friday, January 6, 2012

Harris, Introduction Blog



Hello classmates! My name is Hayley Harris and I am a junior at Loyola. I am originally from Chicago, Ill., but moved to Baton Rouge, La. when I was around 6 years old. In my the first year of college, I was a Biology major. However after a year of long labs and lectures, I changed my major to Political Science. As of right now, I want to pursue a career in International Relations (Foreign Policy, Humanitarian Intervention, and International Law). I am a former student of Ms. McCay. While she was my substitute teacher for an English literature class, I did enjoy her style of teaching and her incorporation of films into the course. Also, I do have a majority of these films at my house and I thought it would be very interesting to see the critique that the director used for these films that Ms. McCay selected.

In all honesty, I wanted to go to school to become a film director. The main supporter for my aspiration came from my father, who has an extensive film collection that includes the creativity of Federico Fellini, Pedro Almdóvar, Ingmar Bergman, Francois Truffaut, Jean-Luc Godard, Jean Cocteau, Woody Allen, Fritz Lang, Alfred Hitchcock, Alejandro Iñárritu, Luis Buñuel, Jim Jarmusch, Roman Polanski, Steven Spielberg, Spike Lee, Steven Soderbergh, Quentin Tarantino and more. Due to my exposure to foreign films, I have developed a fondness for this specific genre; therefore, Almdóvar’s Broken Embraces and Bier’s After the Wedding are my favorites. It is very disappointing sometimes that the films I want to watch may not be shown in the theaters near my house. Besides watching films on the screen, I have worked on two movie sets and enjoyed the experience. After I graduate from Loyola, I have aspirations to film a political documentary in the Balkans and maybe it will be nominated for Best Documentary Feature (crossing fingers).

No comments:

Post a Comment