Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bates, Megan


Hi, everyone. My name is Megan, and I’m an English Writing junior. I was born and raised in River Ridge, one of New Orleans’ suburbs about twenty minutes away from Loyola. I chose to stay local because I’m close to my family and couldn’t bear to leave them for months at a time. This includes my dog, Pixie, who’s featured in the photo. That being said, I still chose to live in the dorm for the experience and a taste of independent living.

My writing interests lie within the creative field, particularly in fiction and script writing. I discovered last semester that I love writing dialogue, so I wanted to take a film class in case my now indeterminate future finds me writing screenplays. I also prefer writing long works rather than short. I feel the creativity that goes into inventing characters, a setting, and a story is more rewarding when spread across one hundred pages rather than ten. Yes, it’s more work, but I’ve always preferred novels and feature-length films as both a writer and a reader/audience.

I’m excited about learning how to interpret films in this class. I had a little experience reading short scenes in the script-writing class I took with Dr. Biguenet last semester and am looking forward to honing and applying these skills to full-length films. As is typical of an English major, I’ve already begun watching my favorite TV shows and movies with this sort of eye. Happy movie-going, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment